We in RKE Operations have recently become aware of some discrepancies within funders’ guidance notes. In some instances, separate sets of guidance for the same call have provided different information. In others, guidance notes relating to a specific call have been released a while after the call notes, and have included important and relevant information for writing the bid. In order to guard against this, we recommend:
- Checking back regularly – up to the date of submission – on the funder’s website in case they have released amended or supplemental guidance.
- Where amended guidance is released, always using the most up-to-date version.
- Ensuring that all guidance notes are read thoroughly – important information may be found hidden where you least expect it.
- If bids are submitted through an electronic system, this includes reading the guidance notes relevant to and attached to the e-system as well.
- If different sets of guidance for the same call give conflicting information, check with the funder (or ask us to do so).
If the guidance isn’t clear or doesn’t give you the information you need, funders are generally happy to help – as are we in RKE Operations – so feel free to pick up the phone.