The Leverhulme Trust has announced that the Research Leadership Awards are now open to applications. Each university is only allowed to put forward one candidate for this scheme.
The aim of these awards is to support those who have succeeded in beginning a university career but who are then confronted with the task of building a research team able to tackle an identified but distinctive research problem. The awards provide support for research assistants and research students led by the award holder. Applicants will have held a university post for at least two years.
• are each for a sum of between £800,000 and £1 million;
• are for the provision of research assistants and research students to build a research group under the direction of the grant holder. A fraction of the award (up to a maximum of 25%) can be used for associated costs;
• are for research activity over a five year period;
• are offered in any subject area within the Trust’s normal remit;
• will be allocated with attention to three selection criteria; namely, first the record and promise of the group leader, secondly the fit of the group’s research involvement and resources, and thirdly the extent to which the work of the group can be seen to bring about a fruitful reshaping of the disciplinary landscape.