GREEN ECONOMY AND SUSTAINABILITY – post presentation notes
FUSION – smarter way of working, many have already been working in this way. Research informs education; education (students) may be subjects of research and co-producers; both may inspire PP. PP can influence research, be subject of research and feeds back into education.
THEME – offers excitement and sharing which could enhance all aspects of the fusion triangle through collaboration across disciplines
POINTS FROM GROUP DISCUSSION/FLIP CHARTS
ACT NOW to seize window of opportunity. The language for Rio+20 in 2012 reinforces the terms ‘Green economy’. Negotiations leading to Rio are underway with the argument being that the way to sustainable development is to put green growth at the heart of economic development strategies while at the same time reducing pollution and green house gasses, maintaining biodiversity and reducing inefficient use of natural resources. The time to get material out and seek to influence is now.
INTER-DISCIPLINARY research/perspectives are required to address SD and develop solutions. There are gaps in the literature in a number of areas. Perhaps a future session might articulate the current gaps?
THINK PIECES might be developed to get out externally but as a starting point this might be used internally to enable the group to learn about the diversity of perspectives within the group. Need a way to share these that is internal ‘Google docs’ might be useful. Need something to support collaborative working either asynchronous but preferably synchronous.
FUTURE EVENTS and collaborations
- Forums – opportunities for collaboration and sharing
- Importance of tangible outputs
- Paper writing sessions – focused collaborative working where paper is drafted by end
- Book – collection of chapters but with caveat about impact
- Edited volume of papers
STICK IT COMMENTS ideas and areas of interest:
- Use the database of GKE interest people, augment it with thought pieces and make it available
- BU – cross school collaboration with community lead projects = impact at grass roots level e.g. DECC bid with energy saving; TT Dorchester.
- Short policy papers supported by a new cornerstone text (e.g. Blueprint for a Green Economy or Our Common Future
- Green health issues – how can this link?
- Sustainable Tourism/ Eco tourism
- Recognition of value of nature capital in leisure
- Renewable energy
- Green consumer profile
- Green Lifestyle
- Green supply chain
- Resilience of Green Economy
- Human Behaviour and cooperation (in terms of climate change scenarios
- Motivational behaviour
- Impacts of ‘Greentec’ (Social Environmental Economic)
- Social justice
- Leadership for SD
- Systemic thinking/futures thinking – envisioning alternative lifestyles
- Contradictions and challenges within greener economy and economic growth