A series of mock REF exercises has been scheduled to help prepare the University for the final submission in 2013. For more detail, see Table 3 in section 3.2.1 of the Code of Practice.
16. Will I be entered for the mock exercises?
Each mock exercise is open to all BU academic staff who have at least one research output published since January 2008. (N.B. four research outputs will be required for submission to the final REF submission in 2013 except where there are individual circumstances to be taken into consideration – see question 32 under Equality and Diversity.)
17. Is there a threshold for inclusion in the final submission?
No threshold for inclusion has currently been set, which fits with the ethos of having an open and inclusive schedule of mock exercises. A guideline threshold for inclusion will be determined through the iterative process of the REF preparation exercises, submission modelling and through equality assessment exercises to aid in the shortlisting process prior to final submission. For more detail, see Table 2 in section 3.2.1 of the Code of Practice.
18. What are the benefits of being submitted to the mock exercises?
There are a number of benefits to be had from taking part in the REF preparation exercises:
- Feedback on your submission from external reviewers and from your UOA leader;
- A personalised action plan to help develop your submission;
- A useful dry run so that you know what to expect from the real thing;
- Benefits to BU in terms of decision making and the shaping of the overall submission;
- The opportunity to be included in the final submission.
Link to the BU REF 2014 Code of Practice.