The BU REF Circumstances Board has been established to oversee the individual staff circumstances process for REF 2021. This includes:
- determining whether individual staff circumstances submitted by BU academics meet the REF eligibility requirements;
- verifying the evidence provided;
- calculating the reduction in outputs using the methodology set out in the REF guidance documentation and the Advance HE case studies;
- contributing to BU’s culture of equality, diversity and inclusivity.
The Board is chaired by a HR Manager with support from the Equality and Diversity Adviser and a member of Research Development & Support. These post-holders will be selected based on their prior knowledge and expertise in individual staff circumstances and equality and diversity issues. Membership will also include two academics and an early career researcher (ECR).
We are now seeking expressions of interest from academics who are interested in joining the Circs Board. Successful applicants will be required to attend meetings of the BU REF Circumstances Board (schedule tbc, but likely to be one or two meetings per year), ensure they are aware of the REF guidance and regulations, undertake equality and diversity training, and promote a positive culture of equality and diversity at BU. We therefore ask for your commitment, active contribution and, most importantly, confidentiality due to the sensitive work of the Board. In return you will be involved in an important cross-University committee, gain an insight into the REF and equality and diversity (both highly topical issues in the sector), and be engaged in academic citizenship.
The vacant roles on the BU REF Circumstances Board are:
- 2 x academic representatives
- 1 x early career researcher (ECR) representative
Anyone interested should submit an expression of interest stating your interest in equality and diversity, why you think equality and diversity is important for the REF and why your involvement would strengthen the BU REF Circumstances Board (max 300 words). You must also state whether you are applying to be an academic member or an ECR. Your nomination should state your name, job title and Faculty.
The deadline for expressions of interest is Friday 20th September. Nominations should be emailed to email@example.com. Note – There is training and development scheduled on the 26th September which it is hoped successful members will be able to attend.
Applications are invited from any BU staff member on an academic contract, however, you must be independent from REF preparations (for example, applicants cannot be UOA Leaders, impact champions or output champions).
ECRs in this context are defined as members of staff who started their careers as independent researchers on or after 1 August 2016. In line with the REF guidance, an individual is deemed to have started their career as an independent researcher from the point at which:
- They held a contract of employment (0.2 FTE or higher) which included a primary employment function of undertaking ‘research’ or ‘teaching and research’, with any HEI or other organisation, whether in the UK or overseas, and
- They undertook independent research, for example, leading or acting as principal investigator or equivalent on a research grant or significant piece of research work.
If you have any queries, please speak with Shelly Anne Stringer in the first instance.