Are you an established research degree supervisor?
Would you like your supervisory practice acknowledged at national level? Join a growing number of BU staff who have gained recognition.
The UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE) has developed the Good Supervisory Practice Framework and the Research Supervision Recognition Programme to allow established supervisors to gain recognition for this challenging, but rewarding, role.
- Acknowledging the Complexity of Your Role: The Good Supervisory Practice Framework helps you navigate the wide-ranging, highly complex and demanding set of roles that modern research supervisors must undertake to perform the role effectively. Informed by academic research and approved by the sector, the 10 criteria of the GSPF acknowledges this complexity and sets a benchmark of good practice for all supervisors.
- Identify your professional development needs: Reflecting on your own practice, compared to a benchmark of good practice, often reveals new perspectives on the challenges inherent in supervision. Identifying your strengths and weaknesses enables you to build upon the former and address the latter with targeted professional development.
- Recognition of your expertise by a national body: Becoming a UKCGE Recognised Research Supervisor, you can demonstrate to your university, peers and candidates that your supervisory practice has been recognised by a national body.
Details of how to apply can be found here.
- Individuals to complete application form, including 2 supporting statements from a co-supervisor and a PGR.
- Individuals to submit application to the Doctoral College by 25 October 2022, including email support from your Deputy Dean for Research & Professional Practice
- Doctoral College to submit applications to UKCGE by 28 October 2022
- UKCGE to review application and feedback to individuals.
In line with the UKCGE guidance, individuals should send their completed application to the Doctoral College (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the BU Window Closing date below:
The key dates for the next application windows and review outcome dates are:
|BU Window Closes
|UKCGE Window Closes
|25 October 2022
|28 October 2022
|20 March 2023
|24 March 2023
|19 June 2023
|23 June 2023
A session providing an introduction to the scheme will be run as part of the Supervisory Development Lunchbite Sessions and details will follow shortly.