John left the groups with some important points to remember when writing funding applications.
Here are John’s top tips for bid writing success……
Top ten rules for readability:
- think about your audience
- think how they will read it
- only use words they will understand
- engaging title and first sentence
- every word counts
- avoid -ve words, difficulties, conditionals
- face problems, but replace with challenges/opportunities
- short sentences
- eliminate jargon, and minimise acronyms
Key features of a good proposal:
- investigate funders’ current priorities
- contact CRE Ops, RPRS, identify potential reviewers and book them in
- read carefully the precise rules for submissions
- check agreement among your collaborators
- allow time for multiple drafts
Strategies for success:
- network, network, network
- hitch your wagon to a star
- be in contact with funders
- why should they want to fund you?
- ensure you are the world expert
- guarantee impact
- clear your diary
- re-use ideas on different context and try again
- deliver on title
- re-read and consider:
- why should it be funded?
- how would the world be different if it wasn’t?