The aim of this competition is to help UK companies explore new RAS opportunities. It will enable them to develop capabilities for applications in many sectors of the UK economy.
We are looking for proposals that will speed up the development of RAS technologies towards demonstration and commercialisation.
Proposals can be for systems that are physical, for example a next generation robot. They can also be digital only, for example an automated decision-making system.
Robots that are independent of human control can learn, adapt and take decisions. These could revolutionise our economy and society over the next 20 years. Disruptive technologies related to RAS include mobile internet, automation of knowledge work, advanced robotics, and automated and autonomous vehicles.
These technologies have the potential for an annual economic impact of US$9.8 to US$19.3 trillion in 2025. The UK has world-leading strengths in the underlying science and engineering that contributes to RAS. It also has access to the markets that could exploit them.
- There will be a briefing webinar on 27 July 2016
- The registration deadline is noon on 19 October 2016
- The application deadline is noon on 26 October 2016
- Projects should range in size from total costs of £50,000 to £500,000
- Projects should last between 6 and 15 months
- You must complete the work and incur, pay and claim for all costs before the end of March 2018
- A business must lead the project
- Projects with costs of £100,000 or above must be collaborative
For more funding opportunities that are most relevant to you, you can set up your own personalised alerts on Research Professional. If you need help setting these up, just ask your School’s/Faculty’s Funding Development Officer in RKEO or view the recent blog post here.
If thinking of applying, why not add notification of your interest on Research Professional’s record of the bid so that BU colleagues can see your intention to bid and contact you to collaborate.