Engaging the UK public with the big issues of environmental science
NERC is inviting proposals under the Planet Earth Pilot programme for public engagement projects costing up to £20k that must be delivered between January and end of March 2017.
This call initiates delivery of NERC’s public engagement strategy through:
- engaging members of the UK public with relevant contemporary issues of environmental science through delivery of environmental science public engagement activity
- building public engagement capacity in the environmental science research community and providing opportunities for early career researchers and PhD students to develop skills, practice and embed public engagement in their research careers
- building partnerships between researchers and publics or public-facing groups, and between research organisations.
Projects will focus on broad, contemporary issues of environmental science, not specific research projects or grants.
An additional budget is available to provide matched funding up to the total value of the proposal (an additional maximum £20k) to provide training and support for the involvement of early-career researchers and PhD students in public engagement projects.
The closing date for proposals is 16:00 on 3 November 2016.
RKEO’s Genna West (Engagement and Impact Facilitator) will be attending the information event on Thursday 22 September – please contact her for further details. The aims of the event are to:
- introduce the call and give the opportunity to ask the NERC team questions
- showcase examples and experiences to spark ideas
- provide a forum for networking and forming collaborations.
If you’d like to discuss ideas for an event or need inspiration please contact Genna or Naomi Kay (Public Engagement Officer).
And, as always, please inform the RKEO Funding Development Team as soon as possible if you are interested in this call, so that they can support your bid.