Over the coming months the Board will work with the UKRI Chair, Chief Executive and the executive team to ensure the successful formation and launch of UKRI, as well as the strategic direction of the organisation. This will include advising the Secretary of State on the allocation of research and innovation budgets, including the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund.
A key task for the Board will be to ensure the strengths of the Research Councils, Innovate UK and Research England are preserved and built upon, and maximise the value and benefits from the government’s investment of over £6 billion per annum in research and innovation.
The Members of the Board:
- Sir John Kingman (interim Chair of UKRI) is the Legal and General Group Chairman and Former Second Permanent Secretary to HM Treasury
- Fiona Driscoll (UKRI Audit Committee Chair) is Chair of the Audit Committee of Nuffield Health
- Mustafa Suleyman is co-founder and Head of Applied AI at DeepMind
- Sir Peter Bazalgette is the founder of a successful independent TV production company and now Executive Chairman of ITV
- Professor Julia Black is Pro Director for Research at the London School of Economics
- Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz is Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge (stepping down at the end of the month), and Chair of Cancer Research UK
- Lord (John) Browne of Madingley is the Executive Chairman of L1 Energy, and former Chief Executive of BP plc
- Sir Harpal Kumar is the Chief Executive of Cancer Research UK
- Professor Max Lu is the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Surrey
- Professor Sir Ian Diamond is the Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen
- Professor Alice Gast is President of Imperial College London
- Vivienne Parry is Head of Engagement for Genomics England
- Lord (David) Willetts is Executive Chair of the Resolution Foundation and former Minister for Universities and Science
- Professor Dame Sally Davies – as Chief Medical Officer and serving civil servant, Dame Sally will not be a formal member of the board but will join board meetings in a personal capacity.