BU is preparing submissions for units of assessment (UOAs) for REF 2021. Each UoA has a UoA Leader, supported by an Impact Champion and Outputs Champion. The roles are recruited through an open and transparent process, which gives all academic staff the opportunity to put themselves forward for UOA roles.
We are currently seeking an expression of interest (EoI) from academic staff interested in supporting impact development for UoA 18 Law.
Impact Champions play a key role in shaping the impact element of their UoA’s submission. They work closely with their Faculty’s Impact Officer and Impact Post-Doctoral Researcher, where relevant.
Key responsibilities of the Impact Champion role include:
- Review the development of impact case studies being prepared within the UOA
- Provide guidance on how impact case studies can be accelerated and evidenced
- Advise colleagues on the REF impact guidelines
- Review impact strategies related to the UOA and assess progress made against them
- Review and implement recommendations from external research users to strengthen research impact
- Ensure that colleagues are updating institutional systems for impact tracking
- Promote relevant training and development opportunities
- Review impact arising from major programmes of research and knowledge exchange to make recommendations as to how these can contribute to impact case studies
- Advise on the use of appropriate metrics specific to the subject area
- To undertake any other duties as requested by the relevant Deputy Dean for Research and Professional Practice (DDRPP) and/or Unit of Assessment leader.
The full role description can be found here – Impact Champion Role Descriptor.
To apply for the role, please submit a short statement (suggested length 300 words) explaining your interest in the role and what you could bring to it. This should be sent by email to Professor Dinusha Mendis by Friday 22nd November 2019. The EoIs will be reviewed by the UoA Leader and Output Champion.
The selection criteria used at EoI are outlined below. Each criterion carries a total possible score of 5. The role will be offered to the highest scoring applicant. The UoA Leader or current Impact Champion will provide feedback to all applicants.
- Knowledge of the REF and research impact (scored out of 5): Applicants should have the appropriate level of skill and knowledge to help them support the development of impact in their UoA. It is expected that Impact Champions will predominantly be practising researchers and will have a breadth of understanding of research across their Faculty. They are also expected to have an understanding of the REF assessment process and of research impact.
- Experience of external engagement and / or impact development (scored out of 5): Impact Champions are expected to be able to provide advice and direction to colleagues who want to develop their research impact. Experience of engaging with external organisations or developing your own research impact would be of benefit in this role.
- Commitment, motivation and enthusiasm (scored out of 5): Being an Impact Champion is a big commitment and the role has the scope to help shape impact development at BU. Applicants need to be committed to the role, as well as showing the enthusiasm and motivation needed to support their UoA.