BU is preparing submissions for units of assessment (UOAs) for REF 2021. Each UoA has a UoA Leader, supported by an Impact Champion and Outputs Champion. The roles are recruited through an open and transparent process, which gives all academic staff the opportunity to put themselves forward for UOA roles.
We are currently seeking an expression of interest (EoI) from academic staff interested in supporting output development for UoA17 Business & Management, alongside the existing Output Champion George Filis.
Output Champions play a key role in shaping the output element of their UoA’s submission. Key responsibilities of the Output Champion role include:
- Support the development of research outputs being prepared within the UOA
- Provide guidance on how research outputs can be produced and published
- Advise colleagues on the REF output guidelines specifically those in relation to assessment, open access and research metrics
- Review output strategies related to the UOA and assess progress made against them
- Ensure that colleagues are updating institutional systems such as BRIAN and BURO
- Promote Open Access publication and use of the Open Access Publication Fund as appropriate
- Promote relevant training and development opportunities
- Review outputs arising from major programmes of research and knowledge exchange to make recommendations as to how these can contribute to the UoAs output profile
- Work with Post-Doctoral Research Fellows on REF Output related activity as appropriate.
The full role description can be found here.
To apply for the role, please submit a short statement (suggested length 300 words) explaining your interest in the role and what you could bring to it. This should be sent by email to Professor Chris Chapleo by Friday 22nd November. The EoIs will be reviewed by the UoA Leader and existing Output Champion.
The selection criteria used at EoI are outlined below. Each criterion carries a total possible score of 5. The role will be offered to the highest scoring applicant. The UoA Leader or current Output Champion will provide feedback to all applicants.
- Knowledge of the REF (scored out of 5): Applicants should have the appropriate level of skill and knowledge to help them support the development of outputs in their UoA. It is expected that Output Champions will predominantly be practising researchers and will have a breadth of understanding of research across their Faculty. They are also expected to have an understanding of the REF assessment process and of research outputs and open access.
- Experience of output development (scored out of 5): Output Champions are expected to be able to provide advice and direction to colleagues who want to develop their research outputs.
- Commitment, motivation and enthusiasm (scored out of 5): Being an Output Champion is a big commitment and the role has the scope to help shape output development at BU. Applicants need to be committed to the role, as well as showing the enthusiasm and motivation needed to support their UoA.