The deadline for applications to have been received by the RDU is: Friday 17 February 2012
The Fund is open to BU academics and will provide selective support to research initiatives considered to be of strategic importance to BU. This call is for the Large Collaborative Grants Scheme (up to £25k per annum, must include two or more Schools). The Small Grants Scheme is also currently open with a closing date of 28 February – further details are available here:
The RDF – Large Collaborative Grants Scheme aims to provide funding for the development of large-scale, complex, inter/multi-disciplinary collaborative research activities leading to external funding. Applications must involve academic staff from at least two BU Schools. Priority will be given to applications that meet the following criteria:
- In line with BU’s emerging Research Themes
- Include external organizations (particularly SMEs and/or international organizations)
- In line with the strategic priorities of major funding bodies (such as the UK research councils, European Commission, etc)
- Clearly beneficial to BU’s submission to REF2014
Examples of research activities covered by the RDF include:
- Pilot projects
- Meeting expenses
- Travel to proposed collaborators
- Attendance at external networking events with the aim of expanding the network
- Preparation of specialist material or data
- Short-term Research Assistant support or replacement teaching
- Consumables and equipment (providing it is clear these would not normally be purchased by the School)
- Fees for external proposal support and review
Awards will only cover direct costs (i.e. overheads and established staff costs will not be reimbursed). Applications need to include a precise breakdown of costs calculated using full economic costing (fEC) methodology – this will be calculated for you by the RKE Operations team.
For further information please read the Research Development Fund policy – Large Grant Round 2.
To apply for a Large Collaborative Research Grant, please complete the RDF Large Grant application form.