Application deadline: 20 September 2012, by 4pm
BBSRC’s FLexible Interchange Programme (FLIP) supports the movement of people from one environment to a different one to exchange knowledge/technology/skills, developing bioscience research/researchers and addressing our strategic priorities.
FLIP awards provide flexible opportunities for individuals (“the interchangers”) moving between different organisations, disciplines and sectors at all stages in their career beyond the PhD (or equivalent).
In the region of 10 awards will be made in the first year, building to 20 per annum over subsequent years.
Awards will typically:
- last up to 24 months
- cost up to £150k in total at 80% fEC
- be undertaken on a full-time, part-time or intermittent basis
- cover a contribution to the salary of the interchangers, reasonable travel and subsistence and costs associated with the interchange
Applications outside these ranges will be considered with full justification.
FLIP aims to:
- enhance opportunities for the exchange of knowledge, technology and people between the research base and user communities and vice versa for economic and/or societal benefit
- facilitate the development of partnerships to foster longer-term collaborations, thereby maximising the impact of previously-funded BBSRC research
- allow for an expansion of the skill base of individuals, particularly in emerging, niche and vulnerable areas alongside our strategic priorities
Each FLIP proposal will only have one lead academic applicant.
Lead applicant must:
- satisfy our standard eligibility criteria as described in BBSRC’s grants guide (see related links)
- be a named investigator on the awarded BBSRC research grant connected to the proposed interchange
- have a PhD (or for non-academics the equivalent professional experience)
- upon commencement of the FLIP award, be employed by one of the organisations participating in the interchange, such as a research organisation, UK industry, policy making or charitable organisation
How to apply
View the call text for full information. Complete the application form and mandatory attachments and submit via email as one single PDF document to FLIP@bbsrc.ac.uk.
Some applicants may be invited to attend a discretionary interview subsequent to the assessment of applications.
- Application form (DOCX 69KB)
- Call text (PDF 177KB)
- Help text (PDF 218KB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF 120KB)
- Summary of financial contribution (DOCX 53KB)
- RCUK pathways to impact (PDF 87KB)
Applications will be assessed at BBSRC’s Research Committee E meeting on 13-14 December 2012.
Interviews (if required) will be held from early January 2013.
Funding decisions will be announced by late January 2013 (dates are for guidance only and may be subject to change).
For eligibility, application process, deadlines and outcomes of applications: FLIP@bbsrc.ac.uk