Last night I received an email from an academic based in South Africa who asked me if I could facilitate a two-day writing workshop in an other sub-Saharan African country later this month. He had found a copy of our paper ‘Writing an academic paper for publication’ on the web. This is, of course, a good advert for Open Access Publishing. I had the pleasure of being able to tell my African colleague that most of our published papers on various aspects of academic writing are Open Access.[1-10] Hence most are freely available to scholars like him in low-income countries.
Unfortunately, this particular request was for a workshop later this month, which is far too short notice. Especially since my co-author and BU Visiting Faculty Prof. Padam Simkhada (Liverpool John Moores University) and I will be running a one-day writing workshop in Liverpool the day before the proposed dates of the African workshop.
Professor Edwin van Teijlingen
- van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V. (2002) Getting your paper to the right journal: a case study of an academic paper, Journal of Advanced Nursing 37(6): 506-511.
- van Teijlingen, E. (2004), Why I can’t get any academic writing done, Medical Sociology News 30 (3): 62-63. http://www.britsoc.co.uk/media/26334/MSN_Nov_2004.pdf
- Simkhada, P., van Teijlingen E., Hundley, V., Simkhada, B.D. (2013) Writing an Abstract for a Scientific Conference, Kathmandu University Medical Journal 11(3): 262-265. http://www.kumj.com.np/issue/43/262-265.pdf
- Pitchforth, E., Porter, M., van Teijlingen, E.R., Forrest Keenan, K. (2005) Writing up and presenting qualitative research in family planning and reproductive health care, Journal of Family Planning & Reproductive Health Care 31 (2): 132-135. http://jfprhc.bmj.com/content/31/2/132.full.pdf+html
- van Teijlingen, E., P.P., Simkhada, B., Ireland, J. (2012) The long & winding road to publication, Nepal Journal Epidemiology 2(4): 213-215 http://nepjol.info/index.php/NJE/article/view/7093/6388
- Simkhada, P., van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V. (2013) Writing an academic paper for publication, Health Renaissance 11(1): 1-5. healthrenaissance.org.np/uploads/Pp_1_5_Guest_Editorial.pdf
- Hundley, V., van Teijlingen, E., Simkhada, P. (2013) Academic authorship: who, why and in what order? Health Renaissance 11(2): 98-101. http://www.nepjol.info/index.php/HREN/article/view/8214/6679
- van Teijlingen, E., Hundley, V., Bick, D. (2014) Who should be an author on your academic paper? Midwifery 30: 385-386. healthrenaissance.org.np/uploads/Download/vol-11-2/Page_99_101_Editorial.pdf
- van Teijlingen, E., Ireland, J., Hundley, V., Simkhada, P., Sathian, B. (2014) Finding the right title for your article: Advice for academic authors, Nepal Journal of Epidemiology 4(1): 344-347. http://www.nepjol.info/index.php/NJE/article/view/10138/8265
- Hall, J., Hundley, V., van Teijlingen, E. (2015) The journal editor: friend or foe? Women & Birth 28(2): e26-e29.