The Research Councils fund research, research facilities and postgraduate training. The Appointments Panels for four of the Research Councils are seeking applications from suitably qualified academics or experienced individuals from the industrial/business/financial/government/voluntary sectors, to fill a number of vacancies on their governing Councils, including some with Audit Committee responsibilities. These vacancies are for part-time, fixed term membership which are expected to arise during 2016:
- Economic and Social Research Council
Four vacancies (3 academic and 1 private sector)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
Two vacancies (1 academic and 1 non-academic)
- Medical Research Council
Four vacancies (1 industry, 1 lay, 2 scientific)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
One vacancy (academic)
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Tuesday 05 July 2016
The Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills will appoint members to the Councils on merit after considering advice from the Appointments Panel. The Secretary of State is committed to the principle of public appointment with independent assessments, openness and transparency of process and to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and working patterns.
An honorarium of £6,850 is paid annually.
A video showing current and former Research Council board members talking about their experiences as a member, the benefits, how they have contributed and what is required can be found on YouTube.
Further information about the vacancies, application forms and interview dates are available to download via the Public Appointments Cabinet Office website at the following links:
- ESRC: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/economic-and-social-research-council-members/
- EPSRC: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/engineering-and-physical-sciences-research-council-members/
- MRC: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/medical-research-council-members/
- STFC: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/science-and-technology-facilities-council-member/