We are delighted to announce that following an external review in spring 2017, BU has been successful in retaining our HR Excellence in Research Award.
The reviewers particularly commended the significant achievements made over the full review period (January 2013 to December 2016) which have demonstrated our commitment to ensuring research staff are recognised, supported, valued and their voices heard.
The Award demonstrates BU’s commitment to aligning process and practice to the UK Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers and therefore improving the working conditions and career development for research staff. In turn this will improve the quantity, quality and impact of research for the benefit of UK society and the economy. The external review required us to highlight the key achievements and progress made since BU gained the award in January 2013 and to outline the focus of our strategy, success measures and next steps for the following four years.
Key achievements made at BU since 2013 in support of this agenda include:
- Publication of BU’s first Code of Practice for the Recruitment and Development of Research Staff
- Establishment of BU’s Research Staff Association which meets bimonthly
- The creation and implementation of the development programmes for research and academic staff, including the RKE Development Framework
- Launch of the BU Bridging Fund Scheme to provide temporary employment, in certain circumstances, of research staff between fixed-term contracts
- Improved induction events and processes
- Careers guidance resources specifically for research staff, including case studies for different career pathways, have been produced and made available to all staff
- Research staff representation at the University RKE Committee and Faculty RKE Committees
Over the next four years we will focus on:
- Reviewing and improving the conditions of employment for research staff
- Further embedding the ownership and implementation of the Concordat and action plan at Faculty level
- Standardising procedures for research staff, e.g. induction, appraisal and pay progression
- Further strengthening the documentation and support for research staff and research leaders/managers
- Further strengthening the voice and visibility of research staff, both internally and externally
You can read our progress review and future action plan (2017-21) in full here: https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/research-environment/research-concordat/
Read the full announcement on the Vitae website here: https://www.vitae.ac.uk/news/vitae-press-releases/hr-excellence-in-research-award-june-2017