The BU Careers and Employability Service can provide you with personalised careers guidance. You can book an appointment with a Careers Advisor via the MyCareerHub website. You can also use this website to access lots of useful resources including guidance on writing CVs and covering letters, interview techniques, job hunting strategies, etc.
Careers Advisors are linked to Faculties:
- FMC – Jane Pimblett
- FM – Lynne Jones / Alison Armstrong
- FHSS – Adrian Cuthbert
- SciTech – Penny Ballyntyne
The Research Facilitators in BU’s Research and Knowledge Exchange Office (RKEO) can provide you with information and advice on developing your research career, including help identifying suitable funding opportunities such as fellowships. Research Facilitators are linked to Faculties:
Planning a research career
If you wish to pursue a research career, you’ll need to market yourself effectively to employers by demonstrating your personal skills, attributes, knowledge and work experience. The Careers Advisors in the Careers and Employability Service can help you to reflect on and identify your skills and qualities and also your motivations and values. Undertaking this self-audit will help you to understand yourself and what you are looking for in a career, as well as giving you an insight into how to market yourself to employers.
- Prospects: Use your Qualification – Lists of jobs related to your degree.
- Prospects – Explore Types of Jobs – Alphabetical and sector based lists of occupations.
- Vitae: Researcher Careers – Information for those planning a career in academia or who want to use their skills elsewhere.
- Beyond the PhD – Career Resource for Arts and Humanities Researchers, including audio interviews of people talking about their transition into a variety of careers.
- Shinton Consulting – Careers advice, information and professional development training to scientists, academics, researchers and research students.
- ScienceCareers.org – Career resource for young scientists (from the Science journal).
- Jobs.ac.uk – Jobs in research, science, academic and related professions.
- PhD Jobs – Recruitment solutions for the postgraduate community.
- FindAPostDoc.com – PostDoctoral posts worldwide.
- EURAXESS European Commission – Advertises research jobs and fellowships across Europe.
- THE Jobs – Jobs in research and academia in higher education.
- Guardian HE jobs – Jobs in research and academia in higher education.
For advice on planning for a particular career path, see our resources on: