HEIF Small Fund – Proof of Concept Strand
BU actively supports staff turning their research into technology opportunities or businesses and is offering awards of a maximum of £5,000. The principal objective of the Proof of Concept Strand is to accelerate the BU research pathway, supporting the maturation of innovations towards commercial exploitation.
This funding is designed to progress BU research projects such that the individual project can attract further funding and/or provide support to expedite the exploitation of the target opportunity.
The HEIF Proof of Concept Strand is open to academic staff across BU.
Due to the nature of this fund, we particularly welcome applications from the following:
- Early Career Researchers (ECRs)
- Proposals that incorporate social sciences and humanities
- Proposal that demonstrate interdisciplinarity research approaches and/or include collaborations with other departments.
In line with BU2025, we will positively encourage applications from under-represented groups.
What we can and cannot fund
The HEIF Proof of Concept Strand will only support development of innovations that have arisen from BU research.
Funding will be available to support activities including but not limited to the following:
- Key translational activities that cannot proceed with current funding such as prototyping, specific market research, accreditation attainment, IP protection, IP strategy/landscaping, equipment purchases, demonstration events for marketing and connection to later stage investment.
- Development of the project such that it addresses a specific barrier that is preventing the attainment of translational funds or will run in parallel to existing translational funds, adding value to the overall development of the project.
- Further develop existing technology/acquire new data to identify other routes for exploitation or obtain additional data or information to determine a specific capacity.
- General early market assessment activities to value the innovation/technology position and determine the most optimal routes for exploitation.
- Focussed market assessment to provide guidance on how to refine the position of an innovation/technology.
Please read the following documents before completing the application form:
- Proof of Concept strand description
- Proof of Concept strand application guidance
- HEIF equality monitoring form
All applicants are also advised to familiarise themselves with BU2025 strategy as part of the application process.
Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The HEIF panel will assess all applications received. Applications are initially subject to a pre-screen check. Applications that pass the pre-screen will be forwarded to the HEIF Funding panel to review. Following the panel assessment process, the HEIF Funding panel will make recommendations for funding to RPMC. RPMC will review these recommendations, check alignment with internal/external strategies and make final decisions.
PoC Strand Closing Date
Applications will be regularly evaluated by the HEIF Panel until 16 June 2021, provided funds remain available until that date.
BU’s Funding Panels and Research Principles
The following funding panels operate to prioritise applications for funding and make recommendations to the Research Performance and Management Committee (RPMC).
There are eight funding panels:
- HEIF Funding Panel
- GCRF Funding Panel
- Research Impact Funding Panel
- Doctoral Studentship Funding Panel
- ACORN Funding Panel
- Research Fellowships Funding Panel
- Charity Impact Funding Panel
- SIA Funding panel.
The following BU2025 Principles are most relevant to the HEIF Panel:
- Principle 1 – which recognises the need to develop teams
- Principle 5 – which sets of the context for such funding panels
If you have any questions about your application, the process or requirements, then please email email@example.com.