As mentioned in Monday’s article on ‘getting started with research at BU‘, the Research Development and Support (RDS) invite all ‘new to BU’ academics and researchers to a induction.
These events provide an overview of all the practical information staff need to begin developing their research plans at BU, using both internal and external networks; to develop and disseminate research outcomes; and maximising the available funding opportunities.
- The primary aim of the induction is to raise participants’ awareness of how to get started in research at BU or, for more established staff, how to take their research to the next level
- To provide participants with essential, practical information and orientation in key stages and processes of research and knowledge exchange at BU
Online induction being done a little bit differently
As we continue to hold inductions online, we continue to do these a bit differently (to avoid ‘death by PowerPoint’). As said yesterday, RDS prepare videos in advance so that attendees can watch these when suited to them before the induction day. There are nine videos in total (some are quite short, and the more important ones (on process) run to ~20 minutes) and all are available on Brightspace. The video topics are
- Overview of research at BU and Research Development and Support (RDS)
- Overview of the Funding Development Team
- Overview of the Project Delivery Team
- Overview of the Knowledge Exchange and Impact Team
- Applying for Research Funding at BU
- Managing your awarded grants
- Research Outputs
- Research Ethics
- Research Impact
These are sent in advance (aiming for three weeks’ beforehand) to those attending the induction.
On the day of the induction, we will run an interactive session where attendees can meet their RDS faculty-facing staff, and have the opportunity to ask any questions on any of the topics above, or anything else RDS related that they need more information on. There will be breakout rooms for each faculty, as well as a room for Research Outputs and Ethics, and a room for Research Impact and Knowledge Exchange. The main room will remain open for any questions on strategy and research at BU. This is a great opportunity to meet your RDS colleagues and to get 1-2-1 advice.
The inductions for 2022 will be held on:
|RDS Academic & Researcher Induction||27th April 2022||09:30 – 11.00||Online|
|RDS Academic & Researcher Induction||19th October 2022||09:30 – 11.00||Online|
We hope you can make it and look forward to seeing you.
The RDS team (this photo was obviously taken pre-pandemic)