Thursday 7 December 2023, 13.00 – 15.00, F305 (Talbot campus)
This workshop is for anyone working with international students at BU, (both academic and professional services staff) who would like to learn more about cross-cultural communication. Look out for another blog post on spotlight sessions on India and Nigeria the following week on 12 December, with participation from the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU).
The workshop objectives are:
• To increase awareness of the importance of intercultural communication in the higher education context.
• To provide you with practical strategies for integrating cross-cultural communication skills into both your written and verbal interactions with international students.
• To promote a culturally inclusive environment that benefits both students and staff.
The workshop will include:
• Exploring cultural theory and how this informs our interactions with international students
• Discussing ‘culture shock’ and its potential impact on students
• Practical tips about how to communicate effectively with international students
Caroline Earth, Orientation and Cultural Adaptation Officer
Jana Kuncova, Head Of International Mobility And Experience
Alastair Morrison, Head of International Partnerships
Tea & coffee will be provided.
For more information and to register, please look at BU’s Organisational Development page.