BU is a member of the Parliamentary & Scientific Committee (an APPG). Colleagues who are interested in attending any of the below online events should contact email@example.com to book a place. Please inform the Policy team if you do book a place so we can monitor interest and uptake for these events. You will require a password to access the online meetings, this will be sent to you by the organiser after you register.
Sources, health benefits and global challenges of protein
Monday 26 October 2020, 5.30pm – 6:40pm
In partnership with the Nutrition Society
Format: presentation, speaker panel and time for questions from the online audience.
Professor of Nutritional Biochemistry, University of Nottingham
Assistant Professor, Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University
Professor of Nutritional Epidemiology, University of East Anglia
Preparing for the long-term impacts of COVID-19 on older people
Monday 9th November 2020, 5:30pm – 6.40pm
Sponsored by The Physiological Society
Discussion Meeting on Aspects of Covid-19
Monday 23rd November 2020, 11.00am – 12.30pm
Sponsored by kind permission of UKRI
Online Discussion Meeting
Autonomous Transport discussion meeting
Monday 7th December 2020, timing to be confirmed
The Parliamentary & Scientific Committee (an All Party Parliamentary Group) are running the following (free to BU staff) seven online events:
Monday 14 Sept at 17:30: Discussion with speakers on Non-Malignant Cancers, Precision Medicine and Genome Mapping.
- Sarah McDonald, Director of Research and Patient Advocacy Myeloma UK
- Dr Karthik Ramasamy – Consultant Haematologist, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Inês Cebola, Department of Metabolism, Digestion and Reproduction, Imperial College London
- Dr Ian M Frayling – Honorary Consulting Genetic Pathologist to St Mark’s Hospital, London & St Vincent’s Hospital, Dublin; Honorary Senior Clinical Research Fellow, Inherited Tumour Syndromes Research Group, Cardiff University and President Elect, Association of Clinical Pathologists
Mon 28 Sept – 17:30-19:00: Discussion meeting Science Education – supporting the UK as a science superpower (being held in partnership with STEM Learning Ltd) – speaker presentations followed by questions from the online audience (responsive and pre-submitted). Speakers:
- Donald Morrison, Senior Vice President and General Manager for People & Places Solutions, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Jacobs
- Baroness Brown of Cambridge (Professor Dame Julia King) DBE FREng FRS Chair of STEM Learning
- Allie Denholm, Headteacher, Heworth Grange School.
Mon 12 Oct – 17:30-19:00: Discussion meeting on Racial Inequality in the UK Science Community
Tues 13 – Thurs 15 Oct – The Royal Botanical Gardens Kew invite members of the Parliamentary and Scientific Committee (BU is a member) to their: State of the World’s Plants and Fungi Virtual Symposium
Mon 26 Oct – 17:30-19:00: Discussion meeting on Sources, health benefits and global challenges of protein. Sponsored by the Nutrition Society
Mon 9 Nov – 17:30-19:00: Discussion meeting on How will COVID-19 impact on the Government’s ‘Ageing Society’ Grand Challenge mission? Sponsored by The Physiological Society
Mon 23 Nov – 11.00am – 12.30pm: Discussion meeting on Aspects of Covid-19.
Sponsored by UKRI
Mon 7 Dec – timing to be confirmed – Discussion meeting on Autonomous Transport
The webinars require a password to access them. Please contact Sarah if you would like to book a place to attend.