The ICM (International Confederation of Midwives) planned its tri-annual conference for 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this conference was postponed and this year summer it is being held online. BU’s Centre for Midwifery, Maternal & Perinatal Health (CMMPH) has a number of great contributions, starting with today’s Symposium ‘Birth by Design 20 years on- a sociological lens on midwifery in the year of the midwife’.
The following sessions, to which CMMPH academic have contributed, are ones to look forward to over the next month:
- Uniting the voice of midwifery education in the United Kingdom: the evolution and impact of the role of the Lead Midwife for Education (S. Way & N. Clark)
- Students’ experience of “hands off/hands on” support for breastfeeding in clinical practice (A. Taylor, G. Bennetts & C. Angell)
- Changing the narrative around childbirth: whose responsibility is it? (V. Hundley, A. Luce, E. van Teijlingen & S. Edlund)
- The social/medical of maternity care AND you (E. van Teijlingen)
- Developing an evidence-based toolkit to support practice assessment in midwifery (M. Fisher, H. Bower, S. Chenery Morris, F. Galloway, J. Jackson & S. Way)
- Are student midwives equipped to support normal birth? (J. Wood & J. Fry)
Congratulations to Prof. Vanora Hundley of FHSS on the publication of her ‘Editorial midwifery special issue on education: A call to all the world’s midwife educators!’ in Midwifery (Elsevier). This editorial is co-authored by midwives Franka Cadée of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) and Mervi Jokinen of European Midwives Association (EMA). The editorial was written to accompany a Special Issue of the journal focussing on midwifery education. The Midwifery Special Issue addresses a wide range of topics from across the globe. Whilst the editorial explores the challenges for midwifery educators from three diﬀerent midwifery perspectives: (1) political; (2) academic ; and (3) professional association.
Congratulations to all three authors!
Prof. Edwin van Teijlingen
Centre for Midwifery, Maternal & Perinatal Health (CMMPH)
- Hundley, V., Cadée, F., Jokinen, M. (2018) Editorial midwifery special issue on education: A call to all the world’s midwife educators!, Midwifery 64: 122-123