Open Access Week, a global event now entering its eighth year, is an opportunity for the academic and research community to continue to learn about the potential benefits of Open Access, to share what they’ve learned with colleagues, and to help inspire wider participation in helping to make Open Access a new norm in scholarship and research.
WHAT IS IT? Open access is free, unrestricted access to peer-reviewed scholarly research literature and data.
WHY DO IT? Publicly-funded research should be made freely available to the community who support it
To the members of public
- Allows access to journal articles without restrictions of costs and time delay
- Reveals the latest medical discoveries and breakthroughs (which may save your life)
- Gives crucial information freely to medical professionals, students and nurses in developing countries so saving thousands of lives
- Enriches the educational experience of millions of students and teachers around the world (who otherwise cannot afford subscriptions to prestigious journals)
To the academics
- Removes barriers to networking and sharing research
- Increases exposure and use of publications
- Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration and new discoveries
- Increase usage, citations and impact
Please visit the links below to hear from our academics about some of the Open Access research that is available to you:
- Dr. Jonathan Williams, Lecturer In Physiotherapy (Link to article)
- Dr. Zulfiqar Khan, Associate Professor (Link to article)
- Dr. Anita Diaz, Lecturer (Link to article)
- Professor Edwin van Teijlingen, Professor of Maternal & Perinatal Health (Link to article)
- Dr. Matthew Frew, Senior Lecturer in Event Management (Link to article)
Celebrate Open Access at BU and join us at these exciting events.
NB: Please email Charmain Lyons (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to join the Faculty Open Access Lunch so that lunch can be ordered for you.
For more information about
- The International Open Access Week and how you can get involved or help out;
- Open access in general;
- how to publish your article open access
Please get in touch with Pengpeng Hatch (email@example.com, tel: 01202 963154).
All logo and colour scheme attributed to : www.openaccessweek.org
I would like to attend today briefly. thanks very much for organizing this.