● Make new connections and collaborate across geographic boundaries
● Reach new audiences
● Build a reputation beyond your institution
● Promote your skills and knowledge
● Disseminate your research and ideas
When all this can be achieved, though, it’s increasingly important that you control what information is available about you online. Academics may have concerns about using social media, especially around creating multiple accounts, including:
● Finding the time to manage them
● Picking the right networks
Once you have worked through this guide, why not schedule time in your diary to repeat this review so that you make sure that your digital profile is working for you?
If you need further guidance with your digital presence, RKEO’s Research Communications Manager, Rachel Bowen, is your first point of contact.