The Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) is a £1.5 billion fund announced by the UK Government to support cutting-edge research that addresses the challenges faced by developing countries through:
- challenge-led disciplinary and interdisciplinary research
- strengthening capacity for research and innovation within both the UK and developing countries
- providing an agile response to emergencies where there is an urgent research need.
GCRF is administered through delivery partners including the Research Councils and national academies. GCRF forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment. ODA-funded activity focuses on outcomes that promote the long-term sustainable growth of countries on the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) list. GCRF funding will be awarded in a manner that fits with Official ODA guidelines. The GCRF priority areas can be found here.
Anyone considering applying for funding opportunities under GCRF must read the strict guidance, which can be found here. This includes ODA compliance, pathways to impact, and the requirements for an ODA justification statement.
Many funding opportunities are also available through the Newton Fund. Types of funding opportunities available under the GCRF and/or Newton Fund are as follows:
- ESRC GCRF Strategic Networks call 2016 – ESRC is investing £3 million in a cohort of Strategic Networks to deliver critical foundational activity to support the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF). This call is an important short term, foundational investment that aims to build and inform future GCRF activity, both at ESRC and RCUK levels – closing date 16.00 (UK time) on 2 August 2016
- AHRC GCRF / PaCCS: Inter-Disciplinary Research Innovation Awards on Conflict and International Development – This call aims to support inter-disciplinary research innovation and international collaboration focussed on the interconnections between conflict and international development and with the potential to contribute to the welfare (broadly defined) and/or economic development of Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs). – closing date 4pm (UK time) on 28 July 2016
- Newton Fund RCUK-DIPI-TRF-NAFOSTED Research Partnerships Call: UK – Indonesia – Thailand – Vietnam Research Partnerships – This initiative will provide funding for high-quality collaborative research projects between UK, Indonesian, Thai and Vietnamese researchers which address the following topics: Atmospheric Pollution and Human Health; Water Resources; Tropical Peatlands and Mangroves – closing date 16:00 BST (22:00 WIB, 22:00 ICT, 23:00 PHT) Wednesday 13 July 2016
- ESRC-NSFC Newton call for collaborative research and networking opportunity – The ESRC and the National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) are pleased to invite proposals focusing on developing financial systems to support sustainable growth in China – closing date 4pm (UK time) on 20 July 2016
This is just a snapshot of available funding opportunities. Not all of the participating funders have released calls under the GCRF but they will do soon. Therefore, do set up a search on your BU Research Professional account to highlight calls under this fund.
If you are considering applying under the GCRF or Newton Fund then please contact your RKEO Funding Development Officer in the first instance.