On 29th June, Vitae are visiting BU and running a series of events in one day to promote the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers.
One of the events running 11-1pm will be focused on Engaging in professional development and is a workshop directed at researchers.
The workshop will introduce participants to tools to assist them in managing their own professional development planning, exploring concepts, and techniques to assist them in setting, pursuing and achieving their career goals. It will be based around the Researcher Development Framework (RDF) and how it can be incorporated into their planning to effectively support their career development.
The workshop will explore:
• What we mean by professional development planning
• Why it should matter to researchers
• The core skills and attributes of effective researchers
• How to identify one’s own skills and attributes
• How to approach building a career development plan
By the end of the workshop, participants will have developed an understanding of the key concepts of career development, considered their current skillset, and started to design a roadmap to bridge the gap between the two, using the RDF.
Booking can be made here – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/vitae-conference-2022-tickets-348638736847
You can book on one workshop or all day. Other sessions include:
- An introduction to the Concordat, why it matters, and what BU is doing to engage with the agenda
- Supporting researchers’ professional development – a workshop for managers
- An informal discussion about where a PhD and a post-doc position can take you career wise (spoiler alert, it’s not just a traditional academic pathway!) and networking.