Internal funding available for your public engagement event/activity.
The call for event proposals is open for the Economic and Social Research Council’s Festival of Social Science 2020.
The call closes on Friday 19 June 2020.
The festival is currently still planned to go ahead from Saturday 7 to Saturday 14 November 2020 inclusive. However, we cannot predict what social distancing measures may still be in place by then. To account for this, you may propose either;
- An online/ remote event or activity, which can be delivered regardless of whether measures restricting events are still in place or have been lifted.
- An in-person event or activity, with an online/remote backup plan.
About the ESRC Festival of Social Science
The festival offers a fascinating insight into some of the country’s leading social science research and how it influences our social, economic and political lives – both now and in the future.
This year represents the 18th ESRC Festival of Social Science. Taking place from Saturday 7 – Saturday 14 November 2020, the festival is back in Bournemouth for the ninth year running.
The celebration of the social sciences takes place across the UK – via public debates, conferences, workshops, interactive seminars, film screenings, virtual exhibitions and much more.
Events can target a variety of non-academic audiences including young people, the public, third sector, business or government.
The festival provides an excellent opportunity for BU researchers to try their hand at public engagement with research. Support for events is provided by BU’s Knowledge Exchange and Impact Team and funding of up to £1,000 is available to deliver your event.
How to apply
Bournemouth University is an official festival partner and will run several events as part of the festival. Applicants should apply directly to BU’s Public Engagement team, NOT to the ESRC.
- Read the applicant guidelines
- Complete the application form
- Submit your form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The call closes on midnight Friday 19 June 2020.
If you’d like to discuss your event idea, please contact the Public Engagement Team, who can support you to design your event.
What’s involved in organising a festival event?
- Deciding on the intended outcomes and audience for your event
- Designing the format of your event
- Investigating an appropriate venue for your event that will be appropriate to your audience
- Identifying and inviting your attendees
- Advertising your event via your networks, website and social media channels
- Setting up and delivering your event on the day
- Using your social media channels to create discussion at and around your event
- Evaluating your event to see if you achieved your intended outcomes
- Celebrating your event successes – perhaps with a BU research blog post
What support is available?
The Public Engagement Team can advise and support you on all aspects of your event – from proposal stage through to delivery. We can help you with identifying and addressing your audience, planning a successful event, marketing to the right people and maximising impact. We can advise on online engagement, including choosing a platform, measuring impact online, and finding an audience. For in-person events we can advise on venues, travel, catering, registration. We can also support your event on the day – online or in-person.
The ESRC will advertise your event on their website and social media. They will also provide banners and materials for your event, if possible, to brand it as part of the Festival.