The ethics review and approval process provides a number of routes for approval of checklists, dependent on the level of risk presented.
Risk is identified by the answers provided to certain questions in Section 2 (filter questions) and Section 3 (my Research).
Section 2 Filter Questions which identify as ‘above minimal’ risk:
- Does your study involve the use of human tissue?
- Does your study involve experimentation on any of the following: animals, animal tissue, genetically modified organisms?
- Research study taking place outside the UK and/or specifically targeting a country outside the UK
Section 3 ‘My Research’ – Questions which identify as ‘above minimal’ risk:
- Are your participants considered vulnerable? Yes
- Do you need a Gatekeeper to access your participants? Yes
- Will the audio recordings be used solely for the purposes of producing an anonymised transcript/summary and then deleted and will not be used in any outputs or made publicly available? No
- Will your research involve the collection of photographic materials which will identify a participant? Yes
- Will your research involve the collection of video materials? Yes
- Will the study involve discussions of sensitive topics? Yes
- Will any drugs, placebos or other substances be administered to the participants? Yes
- Will the study involve invasive, intrusive or potential harmful, procedues of any kind? Yes
- Could you research induce psychological stress or anxiety, cause harm or have negative consequences for the participants or research? Yes
- Will your research involve prolonged or repetitive testing? Yes
- Will it be necessary for participants to take part in your study without their knowledge and consent? Yes
- Will financial or other inducements be offered to participants? Yes
- Will the personal data collected include any special category data? Yes
- Will any identifiable participant data be transferred outside the European Economic Area? Yes